Apply for the Workforce Development Program
The NACE Foundation accepts and processes candidate applications for the Workforce Development Program on a quarterly basis, during the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter enrollment periods. The number of participants accepted per enrollment period is subject to availability of funds, and the NACE Foundation reserves the right to close and restart enrollment for the Workforce Development Program at any time.
Program Terms and Application Deadlines:
|Term||Application Period||Notification Date|
|Spring||January 1 – March 31||May 1|
|Summer||April 1 – June 30||August 1|
|Fall||July 1 – September 30||November 1|
|Winter||October 1 – December 31||February 1|
Eligibility and Application Requirements
Veterans who meet the eligibility requirements will have the opportunity to submit an application for consideration.
Candidate must have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
Non-Certified In Corrosion
Applications received from candidates who currently hold a NACE certification will not be considered.
Military Veteran, “Short” Active Service Members, National Guardsmen, or Reservists
Candidates must fall into one of the following categories, and must meet all requirements as outlined:
- Candidates who fall under this category have served full-time as a member of the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard.
- Individuals who enlisted on or before September 7, 1980 must have served on Active Duty at least 180 continuous days, not including time spent training, to be considered a full time veteran. (DD-214, Item 12.c.). Individuals with less than 180 continuous days may apply if the individual was medically discharged for a service-connected disability. (DD-214, Item 28).
- Individuals who enlisted after September 8, 1980 must have served at least 24 continuous months on Active Duty, not including time spent training, to be considered a full-time veteran. Candidates who do not meet the minimum length of service of 24 months requirement will not be considered for participation in the program. (DD-214, Item 12.c.)
- Veterans who meet the requirements outlined in this section must have an “Honorable” Characterization of Service (DD-214, Item 24) to be eligible to apply for the program.
- Application Requirements: U.S. military veterans must submit a program application, 2 letters of references, and their DD Form 214 separation papers.
- Candidates who fall under this category currently serve in one of the following: The Army National Guard of the United States, The Army Reserve, The Navy Reserve, The Marine Corps Reserve, The Air National Guard of the United States, The Air Force Reserve, and The Coast Guard Reserve.
- To be eligible to apply for the program, individuals currently enlisted in the National Guard or Reserves must have a DD Form 214 proving that the individual has served at least 180 continuous days of Active Duty service, not including time spent training, in an area for which the individual received combat tax exemption, imminent danger pay, hostile fire pay, a campaign badge. Current members of the National Guard or Reserves will have received a DD Form 214 only if they have been activated into Active Duty and completed deployment.
- Guard or Reserves members with less than 180 continuous days may apply if the individual was medically discharged for a service-connected disability. (DD-214, Item 28).
- National Guardsmen or Reservists who meet the requirements outlined in this section must have an “Honorable” Character of Service (DD-214, Item 24) to be eligible to apply for the program (DD-214, Item 12.b.).
- Application Requirements: National Guardsmen or Reservists must submit a program application, 2 letters of references, and their DD Form 214 separation papers.
- Candidates must also include a schedule of commitments, or “Drill Schedule,” for the next full year, including training dates that are held “one weekend a month, two weeks a year”.
- A candidate who falls under this category is currently serving in active duty, but is approaching his or her expiration of term of service (ETS) date. To be eligible to apply for the program, individuals currently serving in the armed forces must be formally separated and/or discharged within 180 days of application for the program.
- Application Requirements: Candidates who fall under this category must submit a program application and 2 letters of references. In place of a DD Form 214, candidates must also submit a signed letter from his or her commanding officer (CO) that includes the following information about the candidate:
- Candidate’s Anticipated Separation Date
- Candidate’s Anticipated Character of Service
(e.g. Honorable, General (Under Honorable Conditions), Other Than Honorable, Dishonorable, etc.)
- Candidate’s Current Military Grade, Rate or Rank
- Candidate’s Current Pay Grade
- “Short” Active Service Members who are accepted to participate in the Workforce Development Program are eligible to take only the Basic Corrosion Online E-course. In order to continue onto the NACE Level 1 certification course (CP or CIP), participants must be fully separated from the armed forces and submit a DD Form 214 to the NACE Foundation as proof of his or her separation from active service.
How to Submit Application
Individuals who meet all of the eligibility requirements as outlined in their appropriate category will have the opportunity to submit an application for the Workforce Development Program. All candidates are required to submit a completed application, including all requested documentation, prior to being considered for the program. Incomplete applications will not be submitted for review by the Selection Committee.
Click Here to Apply Online
|Two Reference Letters||
Two (2) signed letters of references from commanding officers, employers, or colleagues.
|Category-Specific Documents||Please select appropriate category below, and include required document(s) and/or proof of veteran status.
DD-214 Form (long, unedited version) with Character of Service
DD-214 Form (long, unedited version) with Character of Service
Drill Schedule (scheduled training dates for next full year)
Separate letter from Commanding Officer (with signature) which includes the following information:
1. Candidate’s Anticipated Separation Date
Submit an Application:Click Here to Apply Online
- Click the “Sign Up” button to create an account begin the application process.
- Complete the General Application (part 1), and select the “Workforce Development Program” under Program Applications.
- Once you complete the General Application, you will be redirected to complete the Workforce Development Program application (part 2).
- Complete the Workforce Development Program application, and upload all required documents (DD-214, 2 letters of recommendation, etc.).
- Click the “Finish and Submit” button to submit your application.
Application Review Process
Completed applications, including all requested documentation, received by the NACE Foundation will be forwarded to the Selection Committee for review. In some cases, the NACE Foundation may find it necessary to obtain further information from a candidate prior to making a determination about acceptance into the program. Candidates will be notified of their status by the notification date in the table above.
In the event a candidate is not selected for participation, completed applications for the Workforce Development Program will be held on file for future consideration for up to one additional enrollment period. If a candidate’s application is reviewed and denied a second time, a new application from the candidate will be required for future consideration.