Academic Scholarships Program
The EMERG academic scholarship program provides a wide variety of opportunities funded by AMPP, AMPP Chapters, and many generous industry organizations! Each scholarship is designed to assist candidates on their academic growth in the corrosion and protective coatings industry.
Our application period runs from September 1 through January of each year. Visit our scholarship website to view a variety of opportunities. Each opportunity comes with a specific set of criteria required of the applicants and an independent, unbiased selection committee to choose award winners. Find the scholarship that’s right for you!
Apply for Academic Scholarships
Our team is dedicated to supporting and expanding this program to provide a strong means of access for students entering the corrosion and protective coatings industry!
Please visit the site after September 1st to access the applications for AMPP’s 2023 scholarships.
How to Apply for Scholarships:
- Click here to view the list of available scholarships and eligibility requirements.
- Click the “Sign Up” or “Sign In” button to begin the application process.
- Complete the General Application, and select the program(s) that you wish to apply for.
- Once you complete the General Application, you will be “Auto-Matched” to the scholarship opportunities for which you meet the minimum qualifications. Auto-matched scholarships do not require you to complete an additional application.
- Scholarship opportunities listed on the Recommended Opportunities page will require supplementary documentation and/or essay questions. To apply for these scholarships, click the “Apply” button to complete and submit your application.
- All submitted applications may be edited at any time prior to the scholarship deadline. Login to your account and click on the appropriate application to make your changes. Click “Update Your Application” at the bottom of the page once you have completed your changes.
Contact Us for more information about the Academic Scholarships Program.
Scholarship Program Guidelines
Please be sure to review the guidelines below, along with any additional requirements on the individual scholarship page(s), before submitting an application. These guidelines are applicable to ALL scholarships offered by AMPP:
- Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the AMPP spring conference each year. Recipients are highly encouraged to attend in person to be acknowledged.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for Travel Assistance to subsidize their travel to the annual conference to receive their award in person.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled full-time in a college/university at the time the application is submitted. Students enrolled in 2-year or junior colleges are eligible to apply.
- Applicants may apply for as many scholarships as they are eligible, however, a maximum amount of $10,000 per student (excluding Travel Assistance) will be awarded in any given year.
- Once a candidate reaches the $10,000 maximum, that candidate’s remaining application(s), if any, will not be considered by subsequent Selection Committees. If the candidate applies for and receives a single scholarship that exceeds the $10,000 maximum amount, that candidate will be excluded from consideration for all subsequent scholarships.
- All scholarship monies are paid directly to the recipient’s college or university and are to be used for educational expenses only. Expenses include, but not limited to: tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.
- Applications are to be completed by the students themselves, using official applications and recommendation forms provided by AMPP.
- Scholarships awarded by AMPP are not intended to replace stipends or other financial support provided to students for their education by industry, universities, or other organizations.
- Applicants must submit one complete copy of their application for each scholarship. This includes all information which is to be considered by the Selection Committee (with the exception of Recommendation Forms that are sent directly to AMPP).
- Previous applicants and recipients are eligible to reapply each year in open competition with new applicants.
- Upon acceptance, all scholarship recipients must submit a color photograph of themselves, which will be used for publicity purposes.
- All scholarship recipients are required to submit a written follow-up report to the AMPP EMERGE Student Outreach Program within one year of receipt of their scholarship, describing how funds were utilized and how the scholarship aided their education.
- Relatives of members of the AMPP staff are ineligible to apply.
- Relatives of applicants may not serve on the Selection Committee.
- One alternate recipient may be selected for each scholarship, in the event the chosen recipient becomes ineligible.
- AMPP reserves the right to not award any or all scholarships in any given year.
- All applicants must reside and attend a college/university in a country which AMPP may legally support. Any countries sanctioned by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/) or individuals included on the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) or Blocked Persons lists are excluded from consideration.
- All applicants will be notified via e-mail no later than mid-February about the status of their applications. Applicants who are awarded a scholarship through AMPP must submit their written acceptance of the scholarship award and notify staff of their intent to attend the annual conference as soon as possible after notification.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible to apply for Travel Assistance to supplement their travel to the annual conference to accept their award in person.
Request to Fund a Scholarship
If you or your organization would like to fund a new scholarship to be included in the EMERG Scholarship Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Travel Assistance Program
The AMPP EMERG Student Outreach Program will provide Travel Assistance in the amount of $25,000 to help fund student travel to AMPP’s Annual Conference + Expo. Travel Assistance awards are equally distributed, with a maximum of $300 (USD) allocated per applicant. Students will be notified of travel awards in mid-February.
In order to be eligible to receive Travel Assistance, students must be in attendance at the conference for a minimum of two nights / three days. Assistance is made available to support the following students:
- AMPP EMERG Student Outreach Program Scholarship Recipients*
- Presenters in the Student Poster Session*
- Presenters of a paper in the Technical Program*
*Note: Students who meet more than one criteria are only eligible to receive one travel award.
Travel Assistance Information for:
Students who meet at least one of the eligibility requirements outlined below are eligible to submit at an application for Travel Assistance. Students who meet more than one criteria are only eligible to receive one travel award.
- Students participating in the Student Poster Session must be listed as both the Primary Author and the Presenter, on the original paperwork submitted to AMPP, in order to be eligible.
- Contributing authors are not eligible to apply for Travel Assistance. However, a contributing author that is confirmed to present on the primary author’s behalf may be eligible to receive Travel Assistance in the event the poster’s primary author is unable to attend the conference. Substitutions will be made at the discretion of the AMPP EMERG Student Outreach Program staff.
- Only one (1) Travel Assistance award will be granted per poster and per student.
- Students are required to be in attendance at the conference for at least 2 nights / 3 days (Monday–Wednesday), and must participate in ALL mandatory activities related to the Student Poster Session. If these requirements are not met, the student may forfeit his or her Travel Assistance award.
- Full time students presenting in any of the following technical programs are eligible to receive Travel Assistance: Technical Symposia, Research in Progress (RIP), or Research Topical Symposia (RTS). Presentations in technical committee meetings (TIE, STG, TEG, TG, Forums, etc.) are not eligible.
- Students must be named Presenters on the original paperwork submitted to AMPP but are not required to be the Primary author.
- Only one (1) Travel Assistance award will be granted per presentation and per student.
Applying for Travel Assistance
Travel Assistance Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
How to Apply Online
- Click Here to access Travel Assistance application page.
- Sign Up to create a username and password on the AcademicWorks application platform.
- Complete the General Application, and select program option for Travel Assistance.
- Complete the Travel Assistance Application
- Click “Submit” to send your application. If necessary, you may “edit” your application at any time until the deadline.
Redeeming Your Travel Assistance
- Travel Assistance certificates will be available for pick-up at the conference on Monday, March 20, 2023 during the Student Poster Session orientation breakfast (for SPS participants ONLY) or during the Student Meeting. If you are unable to attend either meeting, certificates can be picked up at Registration on Wednesday, March 22, 2023.
- Certificates must be redeemed at the conference Registration desk on Wednesday, March 22, 2023, from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. A valid photo ID is required. Specific times for redemption will be indicated on the certificate.
Rising Leaders Award
The Rising Leaders Award is awarded annually in recognition of a full-time student member, under the age of 30, who helps support and drive the mission of AMPP, as well as demonstrates outstanding service through academics, engagement, leadership, active participation, and dedication to the Association.
Each nominee is required to have a Nomination form and one Recommendation form submitted by the December 31st deadline in order to be considered.
- Current member of AMPP in good standing
- Under the age of 30 at time of application
- Full-time student at an accredited college/university, including 2-year colleges
- Shows passion for and has already made strides to demonstrate exceptional leadership potential through participation with AMPP, their university, local student group, or their local Chapter.
- Shows promise in making significant future contributions to the materials protection field.
WHO CAN NOMINATE
- Candidates can self-nominate
- AMPP members in good standing
- AMPP Chapters
- AMPP Board or Committee Members.
- Professors familiar with nominee’s work and participation within AMPP
RECOGNITION & BENEFITS
- Recognition in person at the EMERGing Leaders Bash
- Recognition award
- Monetary award, including a $500 honorarium and $1,500 travel stipend to attend the AMPP spring conference in person